A lot of people will tell you that Scandinavia is not exactly backpacking-friendly, and that might not be entirely false either. However, if you are in Europe, you have to make time for Copenhagen – the capital city of Denmark. In this post, we are discussing the places of interest in short, with tips and suggestions on how you can travel in budget.
What to see in Copenhagen?
Copenhagen has many interesting attractions. Start with Nyhavn, which is the historic waterfront area with numerous buildings dating back to 16th and 17th centuries. Nationalmuseet, or National Museum is another point of interest, and you should make time for Tivoli Gardens – one of the oldest amusement parks in the world. Christiansborg Palace is a good way to explore Danish culture, while Rosenborg Castle is a great way to appreciate architecture. You may also want to include Bakken Amusement Park, which is the OLDEST amusement park in the world. Visit Church of our Saviour to see the city in a completely different way.
Saving money in Copenhagen
- Get the Copenhagen Card, which allows you to access more than 75 attractions and public transport. You can go for a 24-hour card or a 72-hour one.
- The Danish rail system offers what’s called the “Orange tickets”, which are offered at a discount. You can check the official website for details.
- Rent a bike if you want to explore the city effectively. In Copenhagen, cycling is always recommended and suggested because it has over 350 kms of cycling lanes and it is absolutely safe too.
- Instead of going for a hotel, find holiday apartments in Copenhagen City Centre. If you are looking for more space or are on your honeymoon, there is no better way to get more facilities and space within a budget.
- If you have a serviced apartment, you will also have access to a full kitchen, so consider making your meals. Eating out is not always cheap in Copenhagen, but this is a good way to save.
- Always eat at the right place. Buffets are particularly cheap during lunch, and if you don’t want a full meal, go for a hotdog. Copenhagen sells the best hotdogs compared to many parts of Europe.
- Finally, don’t spend too much on shopping. We know this can be tempting, but on a small budget, avoid the big brands.
Check online for good deals and discounts on serviced apartments and tickets to Copenhagen.